Backing energy efficiency and renewable energy
- Drafted and advocated for legislation passed in 2013 allowing RI municipalities to buy, operate and maintain their streetlights to enhance efficiency and substantially reduce cost. Represented RI municipalities in negotiating the tariff and agreements to implement this streetlight program.
- Counsels clients on solar, wind and hydropower energy development projects.
- Representing producers of renewable energy in efforts to obtain more equitable access to net metering and to the market under state laws and Public Utility Commission orders.
- Represent wind and solar developers in Public Utilities Commission Petition regarding utility interconnection fees and charges.
- Negotiated performance contracts with energy service companies for regional planning council so that towns and school districts can make efficiency improvements funded by guaranteed energy savings.
- Defended a town’s right to credit their wind energy production against their consumption through net metering.
- Defending right to net meter one wind turbine and enter a distributed generation standard contract for another on behalf of public/private partnership in Coventry.
- Negotiated and documented start-up investment in Clean Energy and Economic Development Fund.
Solving our client’s environmental challenges
- Negotiated environmental terms in lease for commercial space.
- Litigated the Coastal Resource Management Council’s approval of a residential pier facility on a shoreline without piers, where the residents all use moorings.
- Successfully sued to recover costs of removing and remediating an underground storage tank that was not disclosed when a large food manufacturing company bought the property.
- Managed environmental investigations and remediation and negotiated transfers of manufacturing companies, printing companies, electrical utilities, and related industries.
- Resolved the transfer of an air emission permit and negotiated an environmental management agreement for the divestiture of a fiberglass molding plant in a shared manufacturing facility.
- Counsel clients on environmental issues raised in association with the proper closure of large, old, heavy-manufacturing plants.
Resolving land use and real estate concerns
- Help clients investigate, negotiate for and finance the acquisition and refinancing of open space, residential and commercial properties, including:
- Acquisition of industrial property for energy efficiency contractor.
- Residence and large property in Foster, Rhode Island.
- Acquisition of shopping plaza and abatement of its sewer assessment.
- Innovative kitchen incubator project in Warren, RI, that will help local food producers get their products to market.
- Defended Warwick on an inverse condemnation case involving application of zoning ordinance to proposed waterfront development.
- Negotiate conservation easements and other land use agreements for leading conservation organizations.
- Property tax appeal for wind turbine developer.
- Helped homeowners recover significant damages caused by a contractor’s negligent painting work and the insurer’s refusal to honor the contractor’s claim.
- Defended preservation organization against a contract claim for alleged tax abatement services at trial in Superior Court.
- Helped a condominium association arbitrate claims related to negligent construction work that has plagued the residents.
- Brought proceedings before the Rhode Island Division of Public Utilities and Carriers to ensure the reliability of Warwick’s water supply and to protect the City against damages resulting from the relocation of gas lines during its sewer projects.
- Filed suit and negotiated settlement of Warwick’s claims for damages from a water main break caused by negligent engineering and drilling in a sewer installation project.